In need of a powerful engine that could carry more rolling stock at greater speeds, the Pennsylvania Railroad in the 1930s developed the GG1 electric locomotive for use in the northeastern United States. It entered service in 1935, and, with its sleek and innovative design, captured the imagination of the public and was featured in numerous films and advertisements. The last locomotive was not officially retired until 1983.
Sporting a classic Pennsylvania Brunswick green paint scheme, this newly tooled, HO scale replica of the GG1 is DCC & Sound-equipped and features a finely cast body, 16-bit polyphonic sound (including motors, blowers, air compressors, short and long horns, a bell, and more), LED directional lighting with a dimming function, 12-wheel drive, twin operating metal pantographs that can be powered by an overhead wire, a fully outfitted cab interior with see-through windows, wire grab irons, detailed trucks, magnetically operated knuckle couplers, and RP25 metal wheels with added weight for smooth operation. Minimum radius of 22". Measures approximately 11" long.